Connect with us

lifestyle

Presidential Election Petition Tribunal announces date for Buhari, Atiku election challenge ruling

Published

on

Atiku and Buhari

The Presidential Election Petition Tribunal has said it will on Wednesday give judgement on the challenge by the PDP against President Muhammadu Buhari’s re-election.

The outcome of the petition by the Peoples Democratic Party and its candidate, Atiku Abubakar, is the most anticipated amongst several legal cases arising from the February 23 election.

“Presidential election petition tribunal: Please be informed. Notice has been given for judgement to be delivered tomorrow, September 11,” Sa’adatu Kachalla, spokesperson for the Court of Appeal, said on Tuesday.

The presidential election petition is handled by the Court of Appeal, and a further appeal can be heard by the Supreme Court.

The PDP’s petition is currently the only petition remaining after three other petitioners ended their cases at the tribunal unsuccesfully.

The PDP challenged the emergence of Mr Buhari as winner of the 2019 election on several grounds including an allegation that the ruling All Progressives Congress worked with the Independent National Electoral Commission to rig the poll.

The party also questioned Mr Buhari’s academic qualification.

The PDP brought 62 witnesses before closing its case at the tribunal, while Mr Buhari put forward seven witnesses.

The electoral body, INEC, declared Mr Buhari the winner of the election with 15,191,847 votes, and Abubakar as the first runner-up polled 11,262,978 votes.

Mr Abubakar, however, said his party won the elections with over 1 million votes from details seen by the petitioners during its investigation.
In his final address, Mr Abubakar and the PDP asked the tribunal to nullify the election of Mr Buhari saying they had been able to prove that Mr Buhari was not qualified to run in the first place.

Besides, they said they had proved all allegations contained in their petition against the conduct of the presidential election by the INEC.

According to them, five major issues for determination by the five-member tribunal, led by Mohammed Garba, include whether Mr Buhari at the time of the election was qualified to contest the election.

“Whether Buhari submitted to INEC affidavit containing false information of fundamental nature in aid of his qualification for the said election.

“Whether from the pleadings and evidence led it was established that Buhari was duly elected by majority of lawful votes cast at the election.

“Whether the presidential election conducted by INEC on February 23 was invalid by reason of corrupt practices; and

“Whether the presidential election conducted by INEC on February 23 was invalid by reason of non-compliance with the Electoral Act, 2010 as amended, the Electoral Guidelines 2019 and manuals issued for the conduct of the election,” they said in the filing seen by PREMIUM TIMES.

Mr Buhari insisted he won the election and was qualified to do so.
Source: Premium Times

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

crime

Man Who Robs Prostitutes In Edo lands in police net

Published

on

The Suspect

The man whose name has been given as Godstime Ogechi specializes in robbing prostitutes in Ugbiyoko, Egor local government area of the state.

A statement released from the command revealed that Ogechi operates alone and uses a rod that looks like a gun.

He would get the girls and lie to them that he will pay them to spend the night with him then take his victim to a dark street where he would rob them.

Upon interrogation, Ogechi said he has lost count of the number of girls he has robbed.

“I don’t have any gang. I operate along Ekenwan road. I pick street girls at night and rob them. I will chat with them and tell them I want to take them for daybreak. When we get to a dark corner, I will bring out this thing like a gun and threaten them. They will give me their phones. I cannot remember the number of girls I have robbed. I was caught when one of the girls ran away after I have paid her. I went back to the spot I picked her from and demanded for my money. She raised alarm.”

Continue Reading

crime

Gov. Bello opens up on why he granted amnesty to 13 suspected armed bandits in Niger State

Published

on

Niger grants amnesty to 13 suspected armed bandits.

Niger State Government has granted amnesty to 13 suspected armed bandits that were arrested by security operatives along Kontonkoro axis in Magama Local Government Area of the state.

Gov. Abubakar Bello of Niger disclosed this while delivering a keynote address at the 2nd General Abdulsalami Abubakar Foundation Annual Peace Lecture on Saturday in Minna.

He said the bandits were released based on the dialogue and peace deal as well as agreement reached by the government and bandits from the area in August.

The governor said the peace accord reached had led to gradual reduction in activities of armed banditry and kidnappings in the area.

“After hearing them on why they decided to engage themselves in such activities, we had to go into a peace agreement with them in the interest of peace and for them to help us with useful information to tackle spate of insecurity in the state,” he said.

The governor noted that they have been cooperating and helping security agencies with useful information on how to identify the unrepentant bandits who were still terrorising the state.

He said the repentant suspects have been engaged into various trade and skill acquisition programmes, adding that the same approach would applied with bandits in Pandogari, Allawa and Erena areas of the state.

Continue Reading

business

How LASCOPA recovered N18.9m compensation for consumers in Lagos

Published

on

General Manager, LASCOPA, Mrs Kemi Olugbode.

The Lagos State Consumer Protection Agency (LASCOPA) says it has recovered N18,886,754 as refund and compensation for consumers in the state

The General Manager, LASCOPA, Mrs Kemi Olugbode, disclosed this in a statement in Lagos on Saturday.

She said that the money was recovered for consumers who sought the support of the agency to get redress from infringements on their rights by retailers and traders of various consumables.

Olugbode said that LASCOPA received complaints daily from aggrieved consumers seeking redress from various unfair trade practices in the state.

She noted that 87.1 percent of the total complaints received by the agency had been amicably resolved, while 9.4 percent were receiving attention.

”About 1.5 percent of the complaints received are awaiting court judgment and two percent were dropped for lack of merit,” he said.

Olugbode said that complaints were received from transportation, banking and finance, food and beverages, Insurance, e-commerce, telecommunications and property sectors.

Other areas are; electricity distribution companies, confectioneries, Manufacturing, automobiles, pharmaceuticals, chemical and agro-allied companies, among others.

She urged consumers to take advantage of the agency`s services to seek redress whenever there was an infringement on their rights, as it was free of charge.

Olugbode said that complaints should be forwarded online through the agency’s e-mail addresses, lascopa@lagosstate.gov.ng or lascopa@gmail.com.

She said that complainants could also visit LASCOPA’s office and all complaints should be accompanied with relevant documents attached.

Continue Reading

Latest Edition of Prestige Intl. Magazine

Ad

Ad

Trending

Share