Connect with us

crime

Chief of Air Staff urges personnel to protect Nigeria’s territory

Published

on

A statement by NAF Director of Public Relations and Information, Air Commodore Ibikunle Daramola in Abuja, said Abubakar made the call on Tuesday at the Tactical Air Command (TAC), Nigeria Air Force, Makurdi.

He commended the officers, airmen and airwomen for their contributions to the successes recorded in the North East, North West and North Central Theatres, among others.

The CAS reiterated that his desire to have a highly-professional fighting force for effective and efficient employment of air power in response to national security.

He expressed satisfaction that in the last four years, the Service had made substantial progress in achieving this.

“To achieve this objective, we had to expanded our organisational structure by creating 2 additional Commands – the Special Operations Command (SOC) with Headquarters in Bauchi, while the erstwhile Training Command was unbundled to create the Air and Ground Training Commands (ATC and GTC),” he said.

He said that the SOC, with its component Quick Response Groups and Wings (QRGs and QRWs), was specifically established to bridge identified gaps in the force protection capability.

On aircraft acquisition, he noted that through the support of the Federal Government, the NAF had inducted 29 brand new aircraft in the last four years with another 20 expected in the next two to three years.

He noted that the Federal Government’s support had also facilitated the reactivation of 20 erstwhile unserviceable aircraft, which were adding value to operations in the various theatres.

The air chief while in Makurdi also inaugurated four Airmen’s Quarters recently renovated to improve the welfare of NAF personnel.

The renovated Quarters include two blocks of 12 x one-bedroom flats for Non-Commissioned Officers (NCOs) and another two blocks of 6 x 2-bedroom flats for Senior Non-Commissioned Officers (SNCOs).

Earlier in his remarks, the Air Officer Commanding Tactical Air Command, AVM Charles Ohwo, pledged the commitment of the Command to mission accomplishment.

He urged beneficiaries of the remodeled blocks to ensure that the facilities were properly maintained.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

business

EFCC Arraigns Sterling Bank Staff And His Wife For Alleged Financial Fraud

Published

on

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, Ibadan Zonal Office on Tuesday, February 18, 2020, arraigned an ex-banker, Akinwole Oluwaseun Dosunmu, alongside his wife, Motunrayo Olanike Dosunmu before Justice Ladiran Akintola of the Oyo State High Court, Ibadan for alleged financial fraud to the tune of N2,740,300.92 (Two Million, Seven Hundred and Forty Thousand, Three Hundred Naira, Ninety-Two kobo).

The couple was accused of stealing the sum from the Sterling Bank Plc. Akinwole was an employee of the bank, while his wife was a customer and a beneficiary in the bank’s Third Party Acquirer Scheme (TPAS).

The bank had initiated the scheme as a marketing strategy through which relatives and friends of their marketing agents were awarded commission for bringing new customers to open and operate new accounts with the bank. Akinwole, also a marketer with the bank, was appointed to coordinate the scheme.

Apart from the commission on account opening, the referral also enjoys certain percentage on the savings made through the accounts every month.

It was, however, alleged that while reviewing activities under the scheme in 2016, the bank discovered that most of the accounts appropriated to Motunrayo as a third-party acquirer were fraudulently tagged to her by her husband.

Continue Reading

crime

Malabu Scandal: Another court grants Adoke bail

Published

on

Justice Binta Nyako of the Federal High Court in Abuja, on Monday, granted bail to a former Minister of Justice, Mohammed Adoke, on the same terms and conditions earlier granted by Justice Idris Kutigi of the FCT High Court in Gwagwalada.

Mr Kutigi had on January 30 granted a N50 million bail to Mr Adoke.

The judge also ordered Mr Adoke to provide one surety who must be resident in Abuja and who must have a landed property in the capital territory.

The second defendant, Aliyu Abubakar, also got bail on the same condition.

The defendants were also ordered to submit their international passports to the court and to sign an undertaking to always attend trial.

The court warned that any attempt to jump bail would result in the revocation of their bail.

Re-arraignment
The EFCC, on Monday, re-arraigned Mr Adoke and Mr Abubakar before the Federal High Court in Abuja on fresh money laundering charges.

They were arraigned on seven charges, Mr Adoke had six counts while Mr Abubakar had one count.

The duo are also standing trial alongside others at the FCT High Court in Gwagwalada in Abuja, in respect of the Malabu Oil scam.

The two defendants pleaded not guilty to the seven-count charge when read to them on Monday.

Ruling on the bail application earlier argued by lawyers in the matter, Justice Nyako said she has no more conditions to add.

She said, “I take the same conditions as the FCT high court.

The judge noted that “Even though the case filed before Justice Idris Kutigi, and the one here is different we are both courts of coordinate jurisdiction.”

She said she cannot be sitting as an appellate court over a court of coordinate jurisdiction.

She ordered the EFCC to deposit Mr Adoke’s passport before the FCT high court in Gwagwalada.

After the ruling, the court adjourned to April 1 and 2, for the commencement of trial.

BACKSTORY
The EFCC had been pursuing Mr Adoke for his alleged role in the controversial transfer of Nigeria’s OPL 245 oil field.

PREMIUM TIMES reported how almost half of the $1.1 billion paid by Shell and Eni in a controversial OPL 245 deal negotiated by Mr Adoke and some other officials of the Goodluck Jonathan administration ended in accounts controlled by Mr Abubakar.

The oil multinationals paid the money through the Nigerian government to Malabu, a company then controlled by Dan Etete, a former petroleum minister who the EFCC said is on the run.

Malabu, which was illegally awarded OPL 245 when Mr Etete was a minister in 1998, then transferred about half of the money into accounts partly controlled by Mr Abubakar.

The EFCC alleges that Mr Abubakar distributed the money to some top officials of Shell and Eni as well as some officials of the Jonathan administration.

The EFCC also alleges that Mr Adoke received N300 million from Mr Abubakar in 2013. The anti-graft agency alleges that that was his share of the Malabu windfall.

Shell, Eni, and their officials are already being prosecuted in Italy for the scandal.

Mr Adoke has denied any wrongdoing and said the actions taken in respect of the transfer of the bloc were based on the instructions of former President Goodluck Jonathan and in the best interest of Nigeria.

In 2015, the former minister went on a self-imposed exile outside Nigeria. He eventually travelled to Dubai where he was arrested by Interpol at the prompting of the EFCC.

Upon his return to Nigeria, he was arrested at the Abuja airport and handed over to the EFCC on December 19.

Continue Reading

crime

I was initiated into cult at 12 years – Arrested dreaded cult leader

Published

on

The Suspect

The Lagos State Police Command says its Special Strike Force on Social Miscreants has arrested Berry Boys’ Secret Cult leader, Maliki Bello and 11 others in Lagos.

Bello, 22, confessed that he was initiated into cultism at the age of 12 when he was in Junior Secondary School.

Bala Elkana, the command’s spokesman said on Sunday that on 4 February at about 7:20pm, following a sustained monitoring, operatives from Itire Police Station led by the Divisional Police Officer, SP Barkfur Kromkyes arrested Bello.

“Maliki is the supreme leader of the notorious Berry Boys Secret Cult with operational base at Itire. He is a native of Lalopun, Kwara State but resides at 23 Ayinla street Idiaraba area of Lagos State. Maliki has been on the wanted list of the Police for violent crimes and gang clashes.

“The suspect confessed to be responsible for series of violent attacks, murders and armed robberies incidents recorded in Idiaraba, Lawanson, Dosunmu, Ashimowo Bakare, Omo-Bola Mushin and Itire. The suspect told detectives that, he was initiated into the cult at age 12 when he was in Junior Secondary School (JSS1).

“He later rose to the number one position, mostly addressed as the supreme leader of the berry boys confraternity. The gang has an official Facebook page (Bbl Baloteli) with 1,928 friends. According to Maliki, they use the Facebook page and other social media accounts to recruit new members, plan attacks and give updates to members,” Elkana said.

He said investigation led to the arrest of 11 additional suspects, saying that the Commissioner of Police, Lagos State, CP Hakeem Odumosu had further reaffirmed the commitment of the Command to addressing the menace of cultism and youth gangsterism in Lagos State.

“The onslaught on social miscreants launched by the Commissioner of Police is intelligence driven, targeting mostly the leaders of the gangs and cult groups and blocking the channels through which they recruit young people. The Special Strike Force on Social Miscreants has successfully brought under control the activities of various cults and gangs in the State through well coordinated and targeted operations. The onslaught will be sustained until they are totally defeated,” he said.

Continue Reading

Latest Edition of Prestige Intl. Magazine

Ad

Ad

Trending

Share