Connect with us

features

Iranian women can now watch World Cup qualifier, first time since 1979

Published

on

Iranian women breaking rules to watch Iran vs Spain via TV broadcast in 2018.

Iranian female fans will be allowed entry into the stadium to watch men’s football World Cup qualifying match coming up in October in the Islamic Republic.

The official IRNA news agency, quoted a Sports Ministry official as saying on Sunday, following heightened pressure from FIFA.

Though foreign women have had limited access to matches in Iran, Iranian women however, were banned from the stadium when male teams are playing, since the Islamic revolution in 1979.

FIFA wrote to the Iranian Football Federation in June, asking it to provide a timeline for women to be able to buy tickets for the qualifiers, or face consequences.

“Women can go to Tehran’s Azadi stadium to watch the match between Iran’s national team and Cambodia in October, for the Qatar World Cup qualifier,” IRNA quoted deputy Sports Minister Jamshid Taghizadeh as saying.

The AFC, the Asian football governing body, which has 47 members including Iran, said on Tuesday it was working to help world soccer governing body FIFA, find an “amicable solution” that would allow Iranian female fans to attend future games in Iran.

“There is no legal ban for women to watch football matches in the stadium. The activation of the infrastructure is underway,” Taghizadeh said.

Iranian female fans had long campaigned to be allowed to watch men’s soccer, and occasionally a limited number of women had been allowed into the stadium.

In June, some women were detained by security forces when they went to the Azadi Stadium for a friendly match against Syria.

Last year, some women risked arrest by donning fake beards and wigs to attend a major game in the stadium.

Their pictures and videos were posted on social media.

The 2022 World Cup will be held in Qatar.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

features

Nasarawa Guber Poll: Gov. Sule floors PDP candidate at tribunal

Published

on

Tribunal upholds the victory of Gov. Abdullahi Sule of Nasarawa in the March 9 Governorship poll.

The Governorship Election Petition Tribunal sitting in Lafia on Saturday affirmed the election of Gov. Abdullahi Sule of the APC.

Delivering judgment Justice Abba Mohammed, Chairman of the Tribunal, dismissed the petition filed by Mr David Ombugadu, candidate of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) challenging the election of Gov. Sule in the March 9 Governorship poll.

In a unanimous judgment, Mohammed, held that the PDP petition lacked merit.

The tribunal held that the petitioner failed to prove the allegation of over-voting, non-voting and non-compliance with the electoral act.

The tribunal also held that the petitioner failed to prove how collation of results was disrupted.

“The burden of proof lay with the petitioner and he has failed to prove the allegations.

“The petitioner has failed to produce two sets of results (original and fake) to prove that the outcome was falsified in favour of APC candidate.

“Hence he failed to prove that, we therefore, uphold the result declared by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).” the tribunal held.

Ombugadu, a two-term House of Representative Member is challenging the election on account of alleged unlawful declaration of Sule as winner of the poll.

The PDP candidate had also claimed that the polls did not comply with provisions of the Electoral Act 2010.

He had also alleged intimidation of voters, unlawful cancellation of votes and malpractice during the election.

Gov. Sule of APC polled 327, 229 votes to defeat Ombugadu of PDP who scored 184, 281 votes in the March 9, governorship elections.

Continue Reading

business

Jubilations as Access Bank opens new branch in Osun

Published

on

There was profound jubilation among the people of Ipetu-Ijesha, in Oriade Local Government of Osun State, as Access Bank opened its new branch in the sleepy community.

Speaking at the event, which was graced by many dignitaries across the country, the Group Managing Director/CEO of the Bank, Dr Herbert Wigwe reiterated the commitment of the Bank to the welfare of many inhabitants of the town through inclusive banking system.

He promised to positively engage the people of the community in terms of provision of credit facilities for small scale businesses as well as employment for the youths.

According to him, such banking experience would accelerate commercial activities as well as human development, with inherent corporate social responsibility of immense value.

“The coming of this Bank to Ipetu-Ijesha is a testimony of rapid commercial growth in the town. The bank will also assist to promote and encourage the development of indigenes in all ramifications.

“We are committed to improving your standard of living economically and socially and we will do everything possible within our means to assist the community in their various entrepreneurial endeavours “, Wigwe said.

The traditional ruler of the town, Oba Adeleke Agunbiade, Ajalaye of Ipetu-Ijesha expressed excitement over the development, saying it is a new dawn of economic advancement in the community, as he eulogised the Bank for considering his domain worthy of such developmental project.

He therefore implored his subjects to reciprocate the gesture through optimal patronage and concerted efforts towards protecting the Bank and its staff jealously.

“This is indeed a dawn of a new era in our town and a move towards economic emancipation and liberation. It is a signal of more developmental projects in our domain.

“I want to beg you to reciprocate this by opening accounts with Access Bank, this is the only Bank that guarantees safety of your money at any time.

“It should be noted that anybody who refuses to Bank with Access is an enemy of the king and by extension an enemy of Ipetu-Ijesha”.

Continue Reading

features

We shall all die and give account, Atiku tells people blocking his path to justice

Published

on

Buhari and Atiku

Nigeria’s former Vice President and Presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Atiku Abubakar in his reaction to the 11 September dismissal of his petition against President Muhammadu Buhari’s election, appeared to be posturing as a victim of injustice and has resorted to evoking subtle threats of eternal damnation to all blocking his path.

Atiku who had tried to unseat Buhari by pleading at the presidential tribunal that he had more plural votes via a server vote tally unknown to the Independent National Electoral Commission, Buhari’s ineligibility for election and electoral fraud said he will pursue his case until he gets justice.

But he has a bad case, the tribunal unanimously ruled on 11 September and dismissed his petition in all its entirety.

The former vice-president, who is reportedly in Dubai on vacation, has six more days to file an appeal at the Supreme Court to make his dream for his self-defined justice possible.

In his statement on Friday, Atiku canvassed for belief from supporters in Nigeria that the Supreme Court could give him the ‘justice’ he wants, while at the same time dropping subtle threat of eternal damnation to those blocking him, by saying: “Finally, I say to all concerned, that we will all die and give an account of our lives to our Creator”.

In his statement on Friday, Atiku canvassed for belief from supporters in Nigeria that the Supreme Court could give him the ‘justice’ he wants, while at the same time dropping subtle threat of eternal damnation to those blocking him, by saying: “Finally, I say to all concerned, that we will all die and give an account of our lives to our Creator”.

“I urge all Nigerians to continue their support for this recourse to constitutional order via the courts. Even if there is little or nothing you can do to ensure that justice is done in Nigeria, just believe that it will happen. Let us never underestimate the effect of our belief in Nigeria”, he said.

According to Atiku, nothing good comes easy, saying that hard as the task to rid Nigeria from the forces of fascism, and be an instrument for the full restoration of the rule of law and democracy in Nigeria was, Nigerians supported him in making the struggle worthwhile.

“I owe so much to this great land of Nigeria that took me from the streets of Jada, where I sold firewood, to the heights I have attained, by God’s benevolence, in the civil service, in corporate Nigeria, and in public service.

“If I do not play my part in making it possible for other orphaned children, indigent youths and the less privileged, to replicate and even surpass my path to significance, I would have failed my Maker. If I do not ensure that the ladder I climbed remains accessible to those at the bottom, middle and top tiers of society, I would not have fulfilled my purpose.

“And only by ensuring that democracy is not just done, but seen to be done, can Nigeria and Nigerians have a sense that this our dear land is indeed a land where Unity, Faith, Peace and Progress reside. It is for this, and other patriotic reasons, that I am pursuing this judicial route: To ensure that the votes of Nigerians count and are counted,” he said.

He said those who did not want this as Nigeria’s reality, would use every trick in the book to undermine, discourage, misinform and mislead, but that with God’s help and the support of Nigerians, he and his party would ensure that Nigeria made a course correction away from tyranny and towards democracy.

Atiku said Nigeria must return to being Africa’s bastion of democracy, where the rights to Freedom of Speech and Freedom after the Speech, were guaranteed and that Nigerians must stand together to pursue this just cause all the way so that the judiciary was not afraid to do their jobs and had to be wary of blackmail, intimidation, and victimisation.

“I note the immense outpouring of goodwill from ordinary Nigerians in every nook and cranny of Nigeria and from all regions, religions and relationships. Once again I thank you all for your support. I also thank the governors elected on the platform of my party, the Peoples Democratic Party, as well as the National Executive Committee, for their unanimous and unambiguous support for the judicial phase of this struggle, especially after it was announced that we would go on to appeal.

Continue Reading

Latest Edition of Prestige Intl. Magazine

Ad

Ad

Trending

Share