Ugandan Presidential candidates, Robert Kyagulanyi Ssentamu aka Bobi Wine has rejected preliminary results released on Friday morning by the electoral commission.
The result shows that President Yoweri Museveni who has ruled the country for over 30 years is currently in an early lead in Uganda’s presidential election.
However, Bobi Wine, who is Museveni’s main rival said he had proof that the poll had been marred by fraud.
With 29.4 percent of votes from Thursday’s ballot counted, Museveni had won 1,852,263 votes, or 63.9 per cent while main opposition candidate Bobi Wine had 821,874 or 28.4 percent, the commission said just after 11.00 a.m. (0800 GMT).
Bobi Wine, a singer-turned-lawmaker who has galvanized young Ugandans with calls for political change, told a news conference on Friday he had filmed proof of fraud during voting and that he wanted a peaceful outcome to the vote.
He had said in a tweet early in the day that he was confident of victory despite “widespread fraud and violence’’.
Hello Uganda! Despite the wide spread fraud and violence experienced across the country earlier today, the picture still looks good. Thank you Uganda for turning up and voting in record numbers. The challenge now is for Mr. Byabakama and the EC to declare the will of the Pple.
— BOBI WINE (@HEBobiwine) January 14, 2021
Museveni, who has led the East African country with a population of nearly 46 million for 34 years, had not made any statement by noon. (0900 GMT).
On Wednesday, the government ordered an internet blackout until further notice, a day after banning all social media and messaging apps.
Wine and his supporters used Facebook to relay live coverage of his campaigns and news conference after he said many media outlets had declined to host him.
The election campaign was marred by deadly crackdowns by security forces on opposition candidates and their supporters.
Uganda’s normally bustling capital Kampala was quiet on Friday, a public holiday after Thursday’s poll, with shops mostly closed.
Soldiers patrolled on foot in the rain in a suburb visited by Reuters.
Commission head, Simon Byabakama, assured the nation on live TV on Thursday evening after polls closed that results were arriving at the national tally centre despite the nationwide internet blackout.
“We are not using local internet to transmit our results, we are using our own system,’’ he said, without giving details of that system.
“Don’t worry, results will come,’’ Byabakama added.
news4 years ago
Osun Government presents 2015, 2016 audited accounts…sets record as the first state in Nigeria to publicly declare accounts
crime2 years ago
Arotile’s ex-classmate had no driver’s licence, report reveals
news1 year ago
2023: Kola Abiola Set To Declare For Presidency
entertainment3 years ago
sanwo-Olu honours sacked chaplain after Ambode’s wife saga
lifestyle5 years ago
Amazing Tips for an Outstanding Makeup
business2 years ago
#EndSARS: Access Bank announces N50 billion interest-free facility for businesses
lifestyle2 years ago
US Church ‘refunds members three years tithes’ as help during COVID-19
entertainment3 years ago
See how Women now use toothpaste to tighten vagina